Monday, August 27, 2012
I made a travel neck pillow for my husband. It was very simple and took maybe an hour. The first thing you need to do is gather materials: Fabric, Thread, Sewing machine, Stuffing, needle. This is a very cheap project. Depending on the size of the pillow you want to make you shouldn't need much fabric. I got 1 yard and it was more than enough. I also only used 1 type of fabric, for this project you could do different types, but I went simple.
Step 2: fold fabric in half again. You should now have a square.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. I just figured since I couldn't find anything online that I would post something. I know it's not difficult, but it's fun!
Friday, August 24, 2012
Thursday, August 23, 2012
Sister #1 has opened her gift from me. Therefore I can now post the pics. I made 2 burp cloths and a bunch of Bibs for her. This is the first set that I made for her. The set I'm calling the busy bee set. as a bonus to the set is the busy bee puppy bib. All of these I found patterns for from other sights. However, they didn't print out right. For most the bibs I used velcro for the closure. A thought while using velcro for baby stuff: always put the softer side of the velcro on the portion that has the possibility of touching the baby's skin. This lessens the risk of irritation. This piece of advice was given to me by my husband. I have not figured out how to make things water proof yet so these are just cloth. I got all the fabric from Wal~mart. It's just their regular cotton fabric. The burp cloth has a sheet of batting in the middle to make it a little more comfy for baby and mommy. Apparently these were the only two pictures I got before shipping off the items. I also had a bib with the whole front bees, and the back was black. The burp cloth was bee's on the front, black on the back. I'll be better about pictures as I keep sewing. I found with this set that I need a lot of work with sewing in circles. Also, I resized everything. The patterns printed out a tiny bit small so I used them as a basis with which to work. I upsized the bibs and added a few inches for the burp cloth. The puppy however was done exactly to the bib pattern. again....need to work on circles.
Saturday, August 18, 2012
This doll gave me so much trouble, it almost wasn't worth it. This is my horrible attempt at Yoda. It all looked great as separate pieces. However when I put it together this is what I got. I still need to add the cape thing he wears, but I don't think that will help any. If anyone knows where I can find a free sewing pattern for Yoda that would be awesome...I tried just duplicating a picture....you can see how helpful that was. However, this is my first all no pattern/tutorial sewing adventure. My husband helped me figure out the hands and feet. This caused us to get in little fights about certain ideas not working etc. Thank goodness this little guy is for a six month old baby that probably doesn't know who Yoda is yet. However his parents, my brother in law mostly, is going to give me a lot of shit for this not looking like Yoda. Well, again, if you know of patterns let me know.
Thursday, August 16, 2012
Wednesday, August 15, 2012
I am currently working on several projects. Im working on a new skirt for me, a stuffed monkey, and a pillow blanket for my dog, among other ideas floating in my head. In the next week the first two should be done. Im still trying to come up with the pillow blanket pattern. I also have other decorating ideas that im thinking and drawing up. If anyone has anything they want me to try let me know. I hope you enjoy the things I make as much as I do.
this is the start of my fall projects. Im just learning plush items so these are kind of raw. I made a pumpkin and a turkey. The pumpkin was fairly easy until I went to close the hole. It took me a while to figure it out but I got it. I want to do more pumpkins because they were quick and easy. Im going to going to be doing them in all sorts of patterns and colors over the next few weeks. The turkey was easy, I just traced my hand and sewed....then stuffed. The eyes are buttons. And used felt for wings. It was quick and simple. My next step is an actual turkey looking turkey. Again, needing more fabric so it will be a few days before I try again. Im having so much fun figuring out all the things I can do, even if hand stitching is annoying. Keep checking back for new projects.
By the way, sorry all my pics are turning out sideways. I don't know how to fix this yet. I have been posting from my phone and they look the right way til I post. When I post it flips them for some reason. If anyone has ideas on how to fix this let me know.
Wednesday, August 8, 2012
This is probably the easiest project I've put my mind to. It was fun to make....though frustrating when my machine decided it didn't want to anymore. But I have been needing a new purse for a long time now....so, instead of buying one I made one. The jean fabric is from the butt of an old pair of jeans....that same pocket is on the front and back. I lined it when a plain red fabric. Who doesn't love a homemade purse out of stuff you already have!
Wednesday, August 1, 2012
I love dressing up my puppy. These pics are my three biggest successes with dog clothes. My pup loves getting dressed up as much as I like dressing her. The jean dress is here favorite. She gets so excited when I pull it out for her to wear. I had some difficulty following patterns. So, I said to hell with the patterns and just wung it. I say it turned out better than planned.